Tangy buffalo sauce, creamy ranch, crisp lettuce. A taco (or wrap) that will please vegans and omnivores!
Ohh, don’t these look good? Tangy buffalo sauce, creamy ranch, crisp lettuce. My mouth is watering as I type! I try to find different ways to enjoy buffalo sauce simply because I’m super late to the buffalo sauce club. I hated it growing up. Now that I’m a hardcore fan, I want to put it on everything.
Before we move on to the recipe, I’d just like to say Happy New Year! Reflecting back on 2018, I believe this little blog I’ve been nurturing has become something I’m quite proud of. To all of you who have lurked here in 2018, I hope you return and I want to thank you for being a part of this with me. May the new year bring you all the joy and success you are after!
Crispy tofu is an attainable thing and I give all the credit to The Buddhist Chef for sharing his method to the internet. He uses cornstarch to coat the tofu and somehow it comes out crispy! This method has never failed me. Check out his blog, you won’t be disappointed!
If you make this recipe, just please know that I can not vouch for any pan other than nonstick. Still to this day, I have not been able to figure out how to cook tofu in a normal pan with out it sticking. We all need to recognize our weaknesses. Some people can’t fold their tongues like a taco and I can’t cook tofu without a nonstick pan. 🤷♀️
These are great hot but I’ve tried them cold and I think I actually like them better when they are! Make it into a wrap if you want to try it that way. I love cold salad wraps. It’d be like a chicken Caesar wrap except not really. Or, if you can’t eat gluten, you could make this into a salad. I may have to try that next!
Another variation, if you don’t like tofu or have a soy allergy, you can check out my buffalo cauliflower bites. Those would be a great replacement! I love when foods have endless possibilities. If you try any of these situations out, let me know how it goes! I’d love to hear from you. 😊
- 14 oz block of extra firm tofu, pressed and cubed
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp vegan butter or coconut oil
- ¼ cup hot sauce
- flour tortillas (swap corn tortillas to make this gluten free)
- shredded lettuce
- vegan ranch or blue cheese (store bought or homemade)
- In a container with a lid, place the tofu, cornstarch and seasonings and seal the container with its lid. Give it a gentle shake to coat the tofu with the dry ingredients.
- In a nonstick pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Pan fry the tofu until the cubes are golden on all sides or at least most of them.
- For the buffalo sauce, melt the vegan butter or coconut oil in a small bowl in the microwave. Add the hot sauce to the melted butter and whisk together with a fork. Alternatively, you can use store bought vegan friendly buffalo sauce (about ¼ cup).
- Spoon the buffalo tofu into warm tortillas, top with shredded lettuce and drizzle with the vegan ranch or blue cheese. (Optional but recommended.)