It’s 104°F here in Texas but that won’t stop me from making soup! I love soup all year round and this chicken tortellini soup is my current addiction. It’s exactly like chicken noodle soup, but instead of noodles, I used three cheese tortellini. Mmmm!
Chicken tortellini soup is cheesy, warm, and comforting. It takes about 35 minutes to make but it is well worth the wait.
This soup is a bit on the lighter side, so I actually like having a side salad to go along with it. You could also serve it with some crusty bread or perhaps some homemade garlic bread. Whatever floats your boat.
Ingredients for chicken tortellini soup
- Veggies: I like the classic trio of carrots, celery, and onion. I think some frozen peas could be good in here too if you have some.
- Spices: Fresh garlic, dried thyme, and some fresh flat-leaf parsley to add flavor.
- Chicken: So you can actually use either chicken breast or chicken thighs. Bone-in is just fine and actually will add more flavor to the broth. Entirely up to you, but just make sure whatever you choose is skinless.
- Chicken broth: Use your absolute favorite brand of broth. I actually use bouillon paste mixed with water instead of broth because it is more convenient for me. I use this brand. *See disclaimer below.
- Tortellini: I wrote down dried tortellini in the recipe card because that is what I used, but you can use the refrigerated tortellini as well. Mine was 3-cheese.
*Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. Duck Soup Kitchen may receive compensation from clicks and/or purchases on this page at no additional cost to you.
If you like this recipe, be sure to let me know. Leave a comment & rating and if you share a photo on Instagram, tag @DUCKSOUPKITCHEN so I can see it. Thanks, y’all!
HOVER OVER THE IMAGE BELOW TO PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER
Other soup recipes you may enjoy…
Chicken Tortellini Soup
- 1 cup sliced carrots (about 3 medium-sized carrots)
- 1 cup sliced celery (about 2-3 stalks)
- 1½ cups diced white or yellow onion (1 medium onion or 1/2 large onion)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs
- 1/2 lb tortellini (dry package)
- 1 handful parsley, chopped (for garnish, optional)
- grated parmesan for serving
- In a large-sized soup pot, add the olive oil and set your burner to medium.
- When the pot is heated up, add the carrots, celery, onions, and garlic. Saute until the onions are translucent.
- Add in the broth, thyme, and black pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Add the chicken and bring the pot to a boil.
- Once the broth is boiling, lower the heat to medium-low and allow this to simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the soup simmers, cook the tortellini to al dente according to package instructions.
- After simmering, use a mesh skimmer to skim off any fat from the top of the soup. Remove the chicken breast from the pot and shred with two forks. Return to the pot.
- Serve each bowl of soup with about 1/2 cup of tortellini. See notes for storage instructions.
- Garnish with parsley and grated parmesan if you wish.