I’ve been making these wings for my husband for a few years now, except I’ve always cooked them in the oven. I personally don’t care for the oven version (It doesn’t get the skin crispy enough for me), which is why the recipe has never made it on my blog. This is my same oven recipe for wings except I made them in my air fryer! They are much crispier and the skin isn’t still squishy.
These wings are so surprisingly good and the crunchiness is just ridiculous. My husband normally dunks them in a sauce but my latest batch was so good according to him that he was eating the naked wings. That’s a big compliment because he is a sauce guy! I prefer mine with buffalo sauce though. 🙂 (See the next picture.)
This recipe was made using the Instant Omni Plus air fryer. It’s the kind of air fryer that looks like a toaster oven rather than those egg-shaped machines. I don’t know how different air fryers are from each other and I have only used this specific air fryer but fingers crossed this recipe can work in most air fryers! 😀 For my air fryer, you put the rack and the basket on a specific rack level for air frying so if you have an air fryer like I do that is what I recommend!
- 2 lbs chicken wings or drumettes
- ½ cup flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- generous amount of cracked black pepper (about 1 tsp)
- Grease your air fryer basket and set aside
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour and spices
- Toss the wings in the flour mix and one by one, transfer them to your air fry basket, tapping off excess flour (You may need to do this in batches if your air fryer basket is smaller)
- Insert your air fryer basket and air fry at 400 degrees F for 25 minutes* flipping halfway
- Toss in your favorite wing sauce or leave them naked.