I have a bit of a gripe with vegan mac and cheese recipes. Have you tried the boiled potato and carrot kind? Or the cashew cream kind? I don’t want to boil potatoes or clean my blender and cashews are expensive in that volume!
Dairy mac and cheese is easy so vegan mac and cheese should be easy too. Here I use the same technique from when I make the dairy version. For the sauce, I make a roux of vegan margarine and white rice flour. I then add some dairy-free milk and instead of cheese I use nutritional yeast. Easy!
Easy Vegan Mac and Cheese
- 250 g uncooked elbow pasta (a little over 2 cups)
- 2 tbsp dairy-free margarine
- 2½ tbsp white rice flour
- 2 cups plain unsweetened milk of choice (preferably on the thicker side like soy, almond, or cashew)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- Bring a medium-size pot of water to boil.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Drain water from pasta and set pasta aside.
- Melt the margarine in the same pot over medium heat.
- Add the white rice flour and whisk together. Let the flour cook for about 30 seconds or until it becomes a light golden color.
- Add the milk, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and let the sauce thicken, whisking every so often. This might take about 5-8 minutes.
- Once the sauce has thickened, add your pasta and stir to coat.
- Adjust seasoning if you desire.