An easy vegan mac and cheese recipe that does not require vegan cheese, boiled potatoes or cashews.
I make this really easy vegan mac and cheese when I’m feeling lazy, don’t have much food in the house, or just need a comforting meal. It’s not very healthy but it is delicious and reliable when I need some mac and cheese. I could have really gone for a batch over the weekend because life kind of got busy and I kind of got married.
What a whirlwind! We weren’t engaged or anything, we just spontaneously went and got married. It was just us two and my new in-laws as our witnesses. My husband and I had been dating for nearly ten years so it wasn’t crazy that we got married but I think we gave a shock to our families with our shotgun wedding, haha. I’m very happy with the way we chose to do this. We will be celebrating later this summer with the rest of our family but for now, I’m celebrating with my new husband and this mac and cheese!
Have you ever noticed most vegan mac and cheese recipes are a bit complicated? You know of the boiled potato and carrot kind? Or the cashew cream kind? I’m not saying it’s bad, I’ve tried that stuff before and I do find it tasty, but it’s not what I’m looking for. I don’t want to boil potatoes or clean my blender and I can never remember to soak cashews ahead of time.
The non-vegan mac and cheese I used to make was easy so the vegan mac and cheese should be easy too. Here I use the same technique from when I used to make my own homemade non-vegan mac and cheese. For the sauce, I make a roux of vegan butter and white rice flour. I then add some dairy-free milk and instead of cheese I use nutritional yeast. Easy! Ready for the recipe?
- 250g uncooked elbow pasta (a little over 2 cups) I used gluten-free brown rice pasta
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 + ½ tbsp white rice flour
- 2 cups milk of choice (preferably on the thicker side like soy, almond, or cashew)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp salt (plus more to taste)
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Bring a medium-size pot of water to boil.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Drain water from pasta and set pasta aside.
- Melt the butter in the same pot over medium heat.
- Add the white rice flour and whisk together. Let the flour cook for about 30 seconds or until it becomes a light golden color.
- Add the milk, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and let the sauce thicken, whisking every so often. This might take about 5-8 minutes.
- Once the sauce has thickened, add your pasta and stir to coat.
- Adjust seasoning if you desire.