Easy & egg-free French toast made with ingredients you probably already have in your pantry.
Aside from soup, is there anything better than breakfast food? If you say yes I don’t believe you. Give me a plate of pancakes, waffles, or French toast and I’m a happy woman. Also, think about it. What’s more special than waking up on a weekend, having nowhere to be, and cooking up a nice breakfast to eat while you watch TV?
Or maybe you’re fancier than I am and you eat your breakfast on your porch or something with a warm breeze rustling your hair. I can’t do that because I don’t have a porch or a warm breeze but I will certainly pretend I do while I eat this French toast.
French toast without the egg not only works but tastes pretty much the same.
Once the dredge comes together, it’s just like regular French toast from here. Dip slices of bread into the dredge, fry it on a griddle, plate it, and dump a bunch of maple syrup on top. Or maybe a normal amount. I really liked mine topped with a tiny bit of powdered sugar.
If you try out this recipe, feel free to let me know how you liked it! Also, you can now follow @ducksoupkitchen on Instagram! I’ll be posting there any time I upload a new recipe on the blog and maybe some other tasty things that may or may not make it here. 😀
French Toast (Easy & Vegan)
- griddle or frying pan
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp sugar
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup dairy-free milk (I used almond)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 slices of sandwich bread
- vegan butter or coconut oil for frying
- Heat up a griddle or a frying pan over medium-low heat.
- Whisk together the flour, cinnamon, sugar, and nutmeg in a small bowl.
- Add the milk and vanilla and mix until smooth. Pour into a shallow dish (I used a pie plate).
- Grease your pan or griddle with a bit of oil or butter.
- Working with only as much bread that will fit into your pan, dip the bread into the batter wetting both sides, and then place onto the hot pan.
- Cook until golden brown and then flip to cook the other side.
- I found cooking on medium-low heat for 3 minutes each side worked great. If your French toast seems to be cooking too fast (or burning) make sure you lower the heat.
- Serve with warm maple syrup, powdered sugar, and fresh berries. (All optional but all delicious.)