Mushroom French Dip
A lighter version of the classic roast beef sandwich. Portobello mushrooms and sauteed onions on a toasted baguette served au jus. Comforting and savory.
Servings 4 servings
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly (white or yellow)
- 4 portobello mushroom caps, cleaned and sliced about ¼-inch thick pieces
- 1+½ cups vegetable broth
- ⅓ cup sherry or white wine (dry)
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp dried rosemary
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 French baguette, sliced in quarters and toasted
- salt and pepper to taste
- horseradish sauce
- dijon mustard
- sliced cheese of choice
Add butter to a large skillet and heat over medium.
Add the sliced onions and saute until the onions are golden, stirring often.
Add the sliced mushrooms and a pinch of salt and pepper and saute until cooked and tender.
Add the broth, sherry, herbs and Worcestershire sauce. Stir together and bring to a low boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Taste the jus (juice) and add salt and pepper to adjust the taste.
Use tongs to serve on toasted bread and ladle out the jus into a dip bowl.
Melt cheese on top if desired and serve with horseradish sauce and dijon mustard (optional).